Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Unit 731

Sometimes you stumble upon weird things while looking for completely unrelated subjects.
In my case, while reading about the latest Visual Novel news I came across a reference to "Unit 731"; a simple analogy would be Nazi Germany:SS, WW2 Japan: Unit 731.
The entire article was really disturbing and fascinating at the same time...an example would be the testing of grenades on prisoners (distance/trajectory/radius of explosion) or lab-bred plague infest flea drops on Chinese civilians.

The thing that really pisses me off is the comparative punishments these "doctors" received compared to say their Nazi counterparts, most negotiated deals with the USA for amnesty in exchange for their information and went on to be come members of government.
The most punishment reported was 25 years to a work camp by a Soviet court that was conducting their own investigation (heck even the Soviets were lenient.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What infuriates me the most is that it appears Unit 731's atrocities aren't very well-known outside Asia. I'm not an expert on WW2 and may have some bias toward this matter, but what happened by Unit 731 seems to be far more inhumane and immoral compared to what happened under Mengele...

I mean, testing a rifle's efficiency by stacking up prisoners in a row and seeing how many a bullet can penetrate? Freezing a limb of someone alive and observing how many hours the victim can survive? It almost sounds like an excuse for a creative execution method. :/

Anonymous said...

"Sometimes you stumble upon weird things while looking for completely unrelated subjects."

Same goes for me, today. I started out from IaMP replays, but ended learning a lot more. I appreciate it.