Monday, December 05, 2005

Dilemma.

I...just read a friend's post.
It's dated two days ago, when I was glibly recommending Shuffle! to anyone who'd listen.
She's the only one who took the bait.
If she reads this she'll know.
Episode 19 and 20 can be gotten from #Kazenokoefansubs, so don't go to #AnimeU!

Anyway, her post was about...one's path in life.
I don't know, the post strikes somewhere deep in me.
Something rings back out when I read that line:
"I wanted to study language and become a translator."

I graduated this May, and I now have a Bachelor's of Science in Computer Science from JHU.
I'm unemployed.
Am I really looking?
I don't really know.
I think when I first graduated I tried pretty damn hard.
I had more than half a dozen interviews all over the place, I was getting calls regularly.
I didn't land a single job.
My parents go apeshit EVERY SINGLE DAY because I am unemployed.
Nowadays I mostly sit around, browse the job websites, check my email, waste time on the web, and work on translating Utawareru Mono.
I've started watching anime again.

Do I want to be employed?
Would I rather be installing operating systems, or programming in java, then say...translating a game, as I am now?
I don't know.

2 comments:

Chowspecial said...

Perhaps you can get an associate's in Japanese? The thing is that you need to realize how ridiculously hard it is to make ends meet. Shit, you have some sort of idea of what I make and I'm constantly thinking about my heating bill. Yeah yeah I sound like every Asian parent out there but damn. This growing up business is hard as hell. You know how MY parents are. I live halfway across the country from them and I STILL can't escape them.

Dude, take some classes at DCC, see what you like... blah blah blah... but do something. Just because it's been more than half a year doesn't mean it's futile. I know plenty of people at work who didn't get a job here until March.

If you're finding that you don't want to be coding in Java, perhaps it's time to do some crazy ass soul searching to see what you really want to do, or don't mind doing. But Hell. I want to run a Bed and Breakfast :P But I'm stuck here doing what I do.

I think of it this way:
Everything that I do day to day is merely a means to get what I truly want later on.

When I'm rich and famous I'll give you a free night at my Bed and Breakfast :P

Anonymous said...

lol, and here I thought you were trying to cheer me up. Well, whether it was unintentional or not, thank you! I stopped moping because of it. ^-^

As to the path to follow, I'm still questioning it myself, so I don't have any advices to give.