Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Playing to Win

This is an old old article, but it still rings true, even today.
Case in point, Ragnarok Online.
I play on a private server run by Soojin over there on the right side of my links.
There is something in RO called WOE, aka War of Emperium.
Basically, you try to walk into a house all the way to the back and break a stone.
Then you get the house.
This can be repeated until WOE ends, and then you have to wait till the next WOE.
You can buy defenders and what not, but on a server with 10 people max and max level 255, they almost do nothing.
So what it comes down to is duels.
Guess the person's weapon element wrong, or just have a wrong build against him, and you can see how this becomes stupid.
Holding a hall is almost impossible, and requires you to time yourself for the last 5 minutes...or other methods.
There is an item called bloody branch, which summons 1 MVP monster.
MVPs are tough, they can at least damage level 255s, and 5 at once will pack a punch.
My idea? Use 50 of these branches inside the house to hold it after I kill the stone.
Anyway, turns out you can't use them inside, which is unfortunate, but you CAN use them outside.
So I use them right at the entrance, die, warp back to the exact point and reuse them.
When I've used 50 branches I keep warping back to the exact entrance to ensure they stay there (Also to test if I can get in my house without dying).
Perfect defense, or so I thought.
The person who I was gunning for had a GM(Moderator) account.
He went on his GM account and despawned ALL my monsters, then changed to his regular character and walked in and broke the stone.
First off, using GM characters to benefit your normal character is probably the ONLY rule on this server, or on any server.
Anyway, he also comes up with a trademark line, "I see no MVPs" when I flipped out and went ballistic.
Later on he argued all sort of stupdities, like WOE takes skill, WOE should be player vs player not player vs monster, he'd have gotten in anyway, general stupid bullshit.

In short, a scrub.

No comments: