Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Progress Torrent

Any of ya heard of Progress Quest? No? It's a genius of a "game" screensaver, where it emulates an online rpg by doing all the work for you. Yeah that's right you just let it run, and it will fight, gain levels, buy new equipment, sell loot, get stronger, without any of your interaction. The hilarious thing is there are guilds for this "game" and people actually cheat. Yes people cheat in an non interactive game.

The reason I bring this little proggie up is that for three days, I have been STARING at a bittorrent progress bar. Yes, I have been looking at the percent slowly and slowly go up. For three days. What could cause such excitement? How about Baldr Force Exe. Not Neko force, the parody, I'm talking about the godamned original. Two fucking gigabyte torrent. And it's about to finish in like 10 minutes.

Now that it's near the end (99.8%), I was making jokes with one of my online friends, let's call him Jazzy. I compared the progress bar to Ragnarok Online (An online rpg) level gaining. And you know what? It's EXACTLY like that. All online rpgs are like that. You stay somewhere for HOURS fighting/doing/not doing God knows what and watch a little bar rise closer and closer to 100%. And when it hits 100%, you do it all over again. God what an evil game design.

More than likely after I finish this Baldr Force Exe torrent, I will get right back on irc and beg Baldr Neko Force. Guess the size of THAT game. That's right, two gigabytes. Another three days of not using the internet cause all my ports are dling. Level 99, here I come.